Many Korean and international students live in the Konkuk University’s dormitory, KU:L HOUSE. Even though many students live there, they are not fully satisfied with the dormitory life. Perhaps they do not know about the hidden surroundings of the dormitory.
Thus, The Konkuk Bulletin chose to share some tips for enjoying a better life at KU:L HOUSE.
Places to eat around KU:L HOUSE
Students who do not have enough time or do not want to go far away from the dormitory can eat at these two restaurants.
1) Toast and cafe next to the lake
- Best menu item: Pizza toast (4,000 won)
- Price: The price varies from 2,000 won to 4,000 won
- Advantage: Compared to the price, the toast has many ingredients
- Opening time: 8 a.m. / Closing time: 6 p.m.
- It does not open on Saturdays and holidays
- Take out only
2)Jangmonim (Mother-in-law) homemade pork cutlets
- Best Menu item: the old days pork cutlet (4,000 won), tteok-bokki pork cutlet (6,000 won)
- Average Price: The price varies from 4,000 won to 7,000 won
- Advantage: Compared to the price, the amount is very plentiful
- Opening time: 7 a.m. Closing time: 12 a.m.
The owner of this restaurant said that she lowered the unit cost of the ingredients. Thus, students can visit her restaurant without too many burdens. To lower the unit cost, she makes the pork cutlet by herself instead of purchasing it from factories which are more expensive. Furthermore, many international students visit there, too. For example, some German students like cheese stone pot rice, pork cutlet, and kimchi pancakes. Moreover, during the examination period, this restaurant discounts for 1,000 won for three days.
Reasonable consumption for shopping (especially for household items and food)
When we live in the dormitory, we often have to buy household items and food. For reasonable prices, there are three ways to spend money wisely.
1) Which is cheaper, E-mart or Daiso?
When students buy household supplies, they often go to E-mart or Daiso for cheap products. Sometimes certain products are cheaper at E-mart and the others are cheaper at Daiso. For better comparison, please check this table.
E-mart is located in Star City, which is very close to KU:L HOUSE. Since Daiso is located close to a subway station of line number 2, exit 1, visiting E-mart would be better for students who do not have enough time.
2) Utilize the GS25 application
Around the dormitory, there are lots of convenience stores such as GS25. Through the GS25 application called “My Own Refrigerator,” students can know the sale periods and see what kinds of products are on sale. It not only provides coupons, but also highlights the bargain prices every day. Furthermore, you can reserve lunch the day or two before. Sometimes, there are one plus one sales, and if you would like to get only one at that time, you can keep the other on this application and use it next time. In addition, GS25 under the Dream Hall closes at 12 a.m. while other GS25 run for 24 hours.
3) Utilize E-mart deadline sales
At E-mart, which is located close to KU:L HOUSE, there is a deadline sale after 10 p.m. At that time, it sells food with short expiration dates such as sushi, chicken, and bread at a reasonable price. Students who get hungry at night can buy food at E-mart for a cheaper price. E- mart closes at 12 a.m. Moreover, on every second and fourth Sunday, the market is closed, so be careful not to go there on these days.
How to get to KU:L HOUSE at a short time
There are some shortcuts to get to KU:L HOUSE and students can choose which way fits them best. There are two best shortcuts from the dormitory to Student Union Building B.
1) Walking along the path and tomb way
- It takes about five to six minutes on average to walk.
- Advantage: It takes a shorter time than walking along Ilgamho Lake. - Disadvantage: In summer, there are many bugs and it can be
dangerous and scary at night.
2) Walking along Ilgamho Lake
- It takes about six to seven minutes on average to walk.
-Advantage: Students can look around the lake while going to classes.
- At night, many people walk this way, so it is not very dangerous.
- Disadvantage: In summer, the bad smell comes out of the lake.
- Sometimes, strange people try to initiate conversation with students.
Do Hyo-young firstname.lastname@example.org
<저작권자 © 건국불레틴, 무단 전재 및 재배포 금지>